MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Thursday, November 05, 2009

"Wind and Light"


16 x 20
Another from the Crescent Beach Paintout. This was a hard painting to photograph. Darker paintings cause problems for me. It's hard for the automatic light meter in the camera. You have shoot at a bunch of different exposures. Plus the lighting for the photograph isn't regualr. At plein air shows I usually shoot with the painting in the shade. This also isn't exactly the final painting. I think I took this photo early in the week. After looking at the painting a couple of days, I decided the third tree needed to be changed and I also softened the edges on the tree with frons (?) sticking out. Finally, on the last day a gave the painting the a light spray of varnish. When you are dealing with darks the colors tend to dull out in about a week. Because the painting is on a support and not on stretchers a light coat of varnish is not a problem. It was a pretty painting and not your typical plein air piece.
Thanks for looking.

No comments: