MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Friday, June 24, 2011

"Down at Orange Lake"


16 x 20

A scene from the Evinston Paint Out from last year. What is it about flat fields and cows? Probably more than anything I love this view of the water. It's downs there behind that veil of trees and its a beautiful hot still lake. That's what I'm aiming for. Did I get there?

At my last paint out I was told by an artist, who is really good and I respect, that my compositions were . . . something like "different". I can't remember the exact word. But I remember thinking "that's good, right?" And there was no question he meant it as a compliment. As an artist you definitely don't want to look like everyone else, but you also don't want to look like crap. There are certain 'conventions' that are supposed to be followed because if they aren't the painting usually doesn't work. So for instance, don't put the horizon line in the middle of the painting, don't put the center of interest smack dab in the middle. Stuff like that. So, there is this struggle. Make it look like something new and different, but don't do something stupid. Does that apply to this painting? Well yeah, . . . I mean I can hear the critique. You need a path down to the lake to lead the eye. The sky needs a bunch of clouds in an interesting pattern. Too many bands of color. But . . . all those things make a simple serene scene into something else. And . . . its my painting and I don't want to paint it that way. Hope you like it.

Thanks for looking.


No comments: