MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"St. Marks Blue"


5 x 7

This sky was painted using a new white. Of course any house painter knows there are multiple varieties of white. Its the same with oil paints except we are not talking about different shades of white, rather it is the material the white is made with. I can make my own shades of white without any problem. This white is called Flake White and the principle difference is that it uses lead in the formula. Obviously, this is not something with which you want to be casual. I have only used in this painting. I really like the luminous quality that you can get with it. However I have been freaked out by the paint. There are just to many times that I end up looking in the mirror in my studio and realize I have a paintbrush in my mouth. You know like chewing on a pencil. So anyway, no matter how nice the color is, I'm pretty sure this is my last tube. I have lost enough brain cells already.

No comments: