MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"Well Worn Path"


18 x 24
I'm not sure if I have already posted this painting before. I changed it recently adding the path across the field. I thought it needed a lead-in to the painting. This is more of the farmland around this area that I am looking at more and more for painting subjects. I know this barn is kind of smack dab in the middle of this thing, but sometimes you just have to do something different and try and make it work. Conventional painting wisdom would have you put this rusted red roof closer to one side in the magic one third area. So . . . maybe there is a reason for conventional wisdom . . . and maybe not. I recently listened to (yes, I am not a reader, but a listener (unabridged only)) a book about Edward Manet called The Judgment of Paris by Ross King. Really interesting historical book about Manet's rise and the impressionist. At that time everyone was painting really intricate paintings of war scenes and mythological settings and Manet does something different. And it is ridiculed and criticized and nobody wants it, until somebody decides they do want it and suddenly there is a new style of painting.
So therefore be it resolved that Steve Andrews will now only paint . . . . hell I don't know. I think Manet was just trying to make good art. He thought there were too many war paintings. "Yeah, no more war, I'm going to put two guys out in the woods in business suits with two naked ladys. Yeah that will work." (For my wife this is Manet thinking. It's one of his famous paintings.)
So therefore be it resolved that Steve Andrews will just try to make good art and leave it at that.
Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

Peter Yesis said...

Steve- Thanks for the visit and comment to my blog. It was a thrill to discover your blog, especially when the art is as good as yours. I really relate to your independent spirit in your work there are only a few blogs that capture the feel of an area as well. Keep up the good work

Steve Andrews said...

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the compliment. I really admire your work.