MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Monday, April 26, 2010

"St. Marks Dusk"


18 x 24

This is the view from the boat ramp at St. Marks Wildlife Refuge. I waited as long as possible to leave because the light was great. That same trip as I was leaving I saw a giant hog near the entrance booth. He was a monster. I took a photo and his body was more than half way across the one lane.


(You thought I was kidding?)

I had another encounter with hogs at St. Marks one morning a couple of months ago. I had gotten there early before sunrise and was painting with Chuck Manning, another plein air painter from Tallahassee. As the sun rose I started to hear hogs waking up in the bog across the canal from where I was painting. They were grunting around obviously looking for food. Every once in a while, one of the hogs would find something and then there would be blood curdling scream as the other hogs tried to take what the one had found. My mind thought back to the big guy in the road. I would glance at Chuck to make sure he felt that we were safe, and he contiunued to paint contently. Nothing to fear. As the hogs moved farther away I yelled at Chuck to comment on the hogs and he stared at me blankly. Then he pulls an ipod headset out of his ears and asks "what"? That made me feel safe.

Thanks for looking.

No comments: