MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

"On 98"

18 x 24

The medical update:  My body has apparently healed itself,  or at least it is giving it a good try.  The mri WAS conclusive (contrary to radiologist's report).  I did have a disc problem and C7 impingement on the on the left side.  The neurosurgeon showed me the mri and spot he found.  He said sometimes the body just absorbs the disc material or the nerve gets use to the pinch.  I never had any neck pain.  It was always numbness in the hand and arm.  Since it's getting better there is no reason for him to do anything.  Hopefully it will continue to improve.

Me:  Can I ride my mountain bike?

Dr.:   You mean you ride a mountain bike on the road around the neighborhood?

Me:  No, I ride through the woods as fast as I can go racing against other 50 year olds who are just as crazy as me.

Dr.:  Do you wear a helmet?

Me:  Oh yeah.

Dr.:  Well I don't think you should live in glass bubble.  [He then said some other stuff, but I don't really remember specifics, kind of blah, blah, blah . . you are an attorney and I didn't tell you to do it]


What did I learn?

1.  An MRI is kind of spooky.  It is just one more reason not to be fat.  I remember walking out of the room and seeing the next patient.  An overweight African-American women with a very big chest and a look of apprehension on her face.  She'd probably been there before.

2.  There are not enough doctors in this world.  Come on.  You shouldn't have to wait so dang long for a receptionist, a phone call, an appointment, a callback, a waiting room, an evaluation, etc. etc. etc.  . . .  

3.  Doctors do good work.  I'll just leave it at that.  They are quirky.  They are all different.  But they all seem to be trying to help people feel better.

4.  It's really hard to say that the doctor never asked you how you got hurt.  You have to answer that question about 20 times.  Bottom line:  If you got hurt on the job and didn't tell the doctor it's not because they didn't ask.  (Well at least at TNC.)

5.  It's hell getting old.

6.  The painting above makes me think I'd rather be riding down 98 to a day at the beach, or fishing, or painting, or taking photos, or sailing, or eating fried shrimp in Apalachicola.  Life is full of magic . . . find some.

Thanks for looking.

1 comment:

jen said...

The light is really nice in this one (I haven't gotten further than this one yet) It looks early and peaceful.