MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Friday, January 21, 2011

"Power Lines"


8 x 10 (Plein Air)

Does every painting have a story? Today is an experiment. I randomly and blindly selected this painting from my computer file of completed paintings from 2010. The reason for this random selection was related the reason for this blog. Believe it or not, this is post number 407 for this blog. That's a lot of paintings and a lot of writing. What do you make a blog about? That's a giant question. It goes to that core issue that is the best explanation for why there are times when I don't post for a while -- who really cares and why are you doing this?

I've had some recent feedback from people (most related to me in some way) who indicate that they like to check out my blog. So I thought I need to be more regular in my posting. But what do you post about? So this was my contention -- every painting has a story. Just tell the simple story of the painting, and testing the proposition I randomly selected this one.

I painted this from Bird Island. The island in the painting is not Bird Island. In fact I can't remember the name but it is privately owned by family members of the owners of Bird Island. I thought the electric lines were interesting, both for their compositional importance and for idea of this isolated island that survives on a lifeline of electric current. The tide was coming in and the islands around the poles were quickly disappearing. Not my favorite painting from Bird Island, but does it have a story. I don't know. Does it?

Thanks for looking.


No comments: