MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sunrise - New Year


8 x 10

From Lake Weir. Among the best things to happen in our family this year was the purchase of a lake house on Lake Weir in Central Florida. If you've been following this blog for any time, (yes, all three of you) then you know that my wife's family started going to Lake Weir every year for a week of summer vacation when she was just a child. Our family has continued that tradition. We haven't missed a year. About five years ago my wife's sister's family bought a place on the lake. It's was right on the same street we stayed on all these years.

One of the realities of vacationing at the same spot over many years is that you see the area grow and the prices of real estate escalate. Until about two years ago those prices had reached astronomical levels. Last summer after returning from vacation I bookmarked a couple of sites that had listing of Lake Weir real estate. In October, I found a house listed that was three houses down from Aunt Dina. Through a lot of tribulation, things worked out and the deal closed in November. I got to spend the week after Christmas there, and I woke up every morning early watching the sunrise, and drinking coffee, and painting. This one is looking east across the lake. It is a heavenly place. (Is that sacrilegious?) My goal is to make paintings that communicate that heavenliness. (Is that hokey?) It won't be easy. I have my own limitations. It is flat Florida . . . a stripe of water, a stripe of land, and a stripe of sky. But I know I am going to enjoy the challenge. Stay tuned to find out.

Thanks for looking.


No comments: