MOTTO FOR 2011

Life is full of magic . . . find some

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Slice of Green


16 x 20

I told you I painted a bunch of paintings this year from State Road 46 near Titusville. It's a lot of open space with all kinds of non-human life for as far as you can see. This is near Hatbill Park (I think thats what they call it). No telling how many alligators there are per square foot. When I was growing up the alligator was an endangered species and was protected. Now there are so many around Lake Harney that I'm not sure its safe to swim anymore. That's a big change. I remember one day my brother Rick took a shot with my bb gun at a small one that had surfaced in front of our cabin. It was a pump bb gun, but you could pump it up pretty good. I guess he hit just right because it went down and about five minute later it surfaced right in front of our beach and walked right up on the shore and just laid there. I remember it being only about three feet long and we turned it over on its back and rubbed its belly and it went to sleep just like they show on TV. After a couple of minutes it regained its sanity and started hissing and walked back in the water. That was the last time we shot at one.

"Slice of Green" is across that marsh grass that holds all those animals. Palm trees claim any area of high ground and the grasses spread out like carpet. There are so many different colors and sometimes the sun hits an area of grass just right. It seems to glow. That's what I'm aiming for here. Dull grayed colors in the trees, grayed almost lavender sky and a slice of screaming yellow green. That's what I saw.

Thanks for looking.


No comments: